CALL FOR PARTICIPANTS
INHABITING THE FOLLOWING CITIES + SURROUNDING AREAS:
ATLANTA | BARCELONA | BERLIN | CAIRO | CHICAGO | LEIPZIG | HELSINKI JOHANNESBURG | LOS ANGELES | MEXICO CITY | NEW YORK CITY PORTLAND | REYKJAVÍK | SAN FRANCISCO | SANTIAGO | SAO PAOLO SEOUL | SINGAPORE | STOCKHOLM | WASHINGTON DC | TOKYO
We are thinking about each other and we are performing and we are all doing it at once, together.
On Friday, September 14, 2007, at 6pm EST, we invite you to participate in a global performance event. Please consider contributing to a series of projects happening simultaneously in 21 cities around the world as part of Conflux Festival (www.confluxfestival.org). It doesn’t need to be difficult: you could sweep your kitchen, read a story to a group of children or have a party. You might sneak love notes into the pockets of jeans at the Gap or direct a walking tour of your neighborhood (further examples are listed in the project description below). It’s less about what you do and more about the doing, and the awareness that every participant is contributing a project at the same time. Each project will be documented and presented on WWW.21CITIESATONCEPERFORMED.INFO ***
• TO PARTICIPATE, PLEASE REPORT BACK TO US BY AUGUST 31 @ firstname.lastname@example.org WITH YOUR NAME, EMAIL, MAILING ADDRESS AND POTENTIAL IDEAS; WE ASK FOR CONCRETE IDEAS TO BE DEVELOPED BY SEPTEMBER 4th TO BE INCLUDED IN A PUBLICATION/ANNOUNCEMENT WITH A MAP OF PARTICIPANTS, WHICH WE WILL DISTRIBUTE (you will get copies); YOU DO NOT HAVE TO MEET 09/04 DEADLINE TO PARTICIPATE
• ON FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 2007 AT 6PM EST MAKE IT HAPPEN
• REPORT BACK TO US ABOUT YOUR PROJECT AT email@example.com WITH ANY DOCUMENTATION TO BE POSTED ONLINE; AS A PARTICIPANT WE ASK THAT YOU SUBMIT DOCUMENTATION IN THE FORM OF VIDEOS, PHOTOS, SOUND, WRITING, DRAWINGS, ETC.
We look forward to hearing from you!
HOPE HILTON + NAT SLAUGHTER
21 CITIES AT ONCE PERFORMED
PLEASE DIRECT ALL CORRESPONDENCE + QUESTIONS TO firstname.lastname@example.org
*** if you know of anyone that might be interested please forward this along to them
PROJECT DESCRIPTION |
21 cities at once performed: a performative, global network where participants create public intersections to occur simultaneously around the world
PROJECT SUMMARY |
Invited multi-disciplinary participants from 21 cities around the world will contribute individual public projects that comprise one connected, simultaneous event.
As a curatorial collective, we are interested in wireless network systems existing not only through the use of computers and the internet, but through a human awareness of simultaneous participation and collective consciousness.
The invited participants experiment with anthropology, architecture, cartography, design, graffiti, kinetics, musical performance, sound and text. There will be walking tours through Seoul, silent meditation in Brooklyn, music in Helsinki, a parade in Chicago… We include these intersections not only as part of our investigation into psychogeography as a global phenomenon, but also to contribute to a networking system that exists within and without technology — public activity in which the experience is more heightened by being aware of its relationship to other simultaneous public activities.
Linking all of these events is a prescribed date and starting time (i.e., all projects are committed to beginning at 18:00 EST and the equivalent moment in other time zones). Serving as an announcement tool, archive, and network, www.21citiesatonceperformed.info is a blog that will complete the connections with maps, sounds and other documentation of performances.
EXAMPLES OF PROJECTS:
- HUG SOMEONE
- SING A SONG OUT OF YOUR WINDOW/ SERENADE YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD
- FOLLOW SIGNS AROUND YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD LIKE THEY ARE GIVING YOU INSTRUCTIONS
- PLAY A SHOW WITH YOUR BAND
- DRAW A HOPSCOTCH GAME WITH CHALK AND INVITE PASSERBY TO PLAY
- HAVE A CANDLELIGHT PICNIC WITH YOUR FRIENDS ON A BASKETBALL COURT
- MAKE POSTERS ABOUT YOUR PARENTS
- DRESS IN A COSTUME AND DANCE AT MACDONALDS
- WALK DOWN THE STREET WITH A BOOMBOX PLAYING LOUD MUSIC
- HUG A TREE
- POST AN AD ON CRAIGSLIST INVITING PEOPLE TO DO YOGA IN THE PARK
- FILL UP A GROCERY CART WITH VITAMINS, WALK AROUND, THEN PUT THEM BACK
- MEMORIZE A MONOLOGUE FROM A MOVIE WITH YOUR BEST FRIEND AND PERFORM IT
- MAKE A FLAG AND PLACE IT CEREMONIOUSLY
- WRITE NOTES AND PLACE THEM IN PUBLIC RESTROOMS